[jcifs] Using port 445 instead of 139 with NtlmHttpFilter

Eric Glass eric.glass at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 08:46:30 GMT 2004

> I thought that was just for Win98 support or something limited like that?
> Is there non-NTLM stuff Windows only?

Their core product is a Kerberos client and SPNEGO implementation
(including GSS-API providers).  Their JCSI-SSO product provides a
single sign-on environment based on this, including a container
extension which provides similar functionality to our NtlmHttpFilter
(except using SPNEGO/Kerberos instead of NTLM in normal cases).

Clients that can't/don't support SPNEGO will send raw NTLM messages
(this would include Win9x, NT4, and standalone machines; there are
various other situations that would result in NTLM being used instead
of SPNEGO).  From what I gather, they use jCIFS to respond to these
requests, basically as a fallback when SPNEGO fails.

Eric