[jcifs] Re: JCIFS Windows vs Linux

Eric Glass eric.glass at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 16:46:26 GMT 2004

> Yes the proxy server uses NTLM authentication. The tricky thing is that there
> isn't just one proxy server (the initial script we use calls autoproxy:9090
> which directs it from there), which makes thing tougher (if not impossible).
>
> But you were right, the windows version has similar problems (When i tested
> initially, I didn't think the proxy was the issue, so I guess
> using "localhost" doesn't count :)
>
> Is there some setting to get around the proxy server (or at least keep the
> request "alive" for authentication to complete)?

The official answer is no:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q198/1/16.ASP

Technically, the jCIFS filter doesn't enforce the keepalive
requirement; so in theory it would be possible (and may work using
Mozilla, as I believe their NTLM implementation is also "connection
clean").  But I don't believe you'll be able to get Internet Explorer
working in this scenario, as it will require a persistent connection
to the endpoint.

Eric