[jcifs] Signing is required by the server but passwords are external

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Mon Jul 26 22:16:17 GMT 2004

Mush Salee said:
> Can anyone please shed any light on what the following message means
>
> jcifs.smb.SmbException: Signing is required by the server but passwords
> are external.

I think that error is from an older version of jCIFS. It's not in the
latest package so I don't recall exactly what the context was. Regardless
it basically means that the target server requires SMB signatures but the
password hashes where negotiated using NTLM HTTP authentication and
therefore cannot be used to generate the MAC signing key for SMB
signatures. I think this might happen if for example you authenticated
clients using NTLM HTTP Authentication and then tried to use the
NtlmPasswordAuthentication object in the HttpSession to try to access SMB
resources.