[jcifs] Using port 445 instead of 139 with NtlmHttpFilter

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Jul 26 15:43:12 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 11:20:10AM -0400, Eric Glass wrote:
> jCIFS 0.9.6 adds the infrastructure necessary to generate/verify
> challenges from a port other than 139, although the filter itself
> doesn't have an option to use this functionality currently.  The
> bigger issue for you is that 445 is special; it uses "naked" SMB.
> Normal SMB (port 139) is "SMB over NetBIOS over TCP".  445 is SMB over
> TCP (without NetBIOS "encapsulation").  I believe Mike was at one
> point looking at support for this?  I'm not sure the level of effort
> involved though.

There are no real differences between port 139 and 445 behavior with
regard to SMB transport.  Naked transport still uses the same four-byte
header introduced with NBT transport (back in RFC1001/1002).

The semantic differences have to do with:
- The NBT naming system (UDP port 137) which, of course, disappears when
  using port 445.

- NetBIOS-based services such as the Browse Service also disappear over
  port 445.  Eg., you can't count on RAP calls working if NBT isn't
  running.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org