[jcifs] jcifs-0.9.5 timeout on the Windows 2003 domain controller

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Jul 21 17:33:02 GMT 2004

Please send all correspondance to the list. This is a community project
so we all share our experiences here for mutual benifit.

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:17:27 -0500
"John Jih" <John.Jih at Halliburton.com> wrote:

> Michael:
>
> 1. We tried jcifs-0.8.2.jar, it actually worked by just using the
> "jcifs.http.domainController" to authenticate, since it is not been put
> into production, we don't know how stable it is. Once we used 0.9.1 and
> beyond, this parameter caused the ID and Password prompt (on Win2003
> DC), even put into the right ID and password, it never allow user to
> view the site.

There have been quite a few changes since 0.9.1. It would be better if
we stick to diagnosis with the latest versions of each package (0.8.3
and 0.9.5).

> 2. It may have timeout one to four times a day, sometimes there are no
> timeout for a few days, one day the timeout last about 5 minutes. We
> suspect that the desktop support messing with the DC or network
> traffice, DC overload issue. We are working with them to see how to
> capture the problem.
> When we use the jcifs-0.7.14 on win2000 DC, rarely we noticed the
> timeout issue.

It sounds like the domain controller or network may not be 100%
static. Unlike a Windows workstation that only logs into the domain
controller when someone logs into their workstation, jCIFS is
authenticating many clients fairly frequently so any disruption in
service is more noticeable.

It is recommended that you use the jcifs.smb.client.domain and
jcifs.netbios.wins properties so that the client will "load balance"
between the top controllers. There are some other properties that
will also effect the behavior of load balancing that may help with the
availability issue. See the NTLM HTTP documentation for further info.

> 3. Would you please tell me how to execute the SmbSession.login?

That is a JCIFS Library method that is called from a program. You would
need get a developer to tell you how to run that test..

Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.