[jcifs] jcifs-0.9.5 timeout on the Windows 2003 domain controller

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Jul 21 07:04:43 GMT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:25:03 -0500
"John Jih" <John.Jih at Halliburton.com> wrote:
> We downloaded the jcifs-0.9.5.jar and put these code in the web.xml to
> authenticate user from the win2003 domain controller (some parameter
> value been altered). We got the timeout message from time to time, is
> this network issue or DC issue or maybe other parameters needed?

This could be a lot of things. I recall there was an issue with the
Oracle VM at one time. It could be a synchronization flaw in the jCIFS
code. Does jcifs-0.8.3.jar have a problem? How frequently is "from time
to time"? Would it be possible to get a packet capture [1] of it failing?

>             <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.responseTimeout</param-name>
>             <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.soTimeout</param-name>

Don't mess with these values. If the server doesn't respond within the
default time period it's not likely to respond at all. Do you suspect
your domain controller is overloaded? If you do:

SmbSession.login( UniAddress.getByName( "ipofdomaincontroller" ), new
NtlmPasswordAuthentication( "dom", "user", "pass" );

how long does it take?

Mike

[1] http://jcifs.samba.org/capture.html

--
Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.