[jcifs] FAQ - Samba Required on Client?

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Mon Jul 19 19:40:48 GMT 2004

Myron Uecker said:
> I am using the HTTP filter under jCIFS 0.8.3 running under JBoss 3.2.5.  I
> installed my application on a Sun Solaris machine and authentication did
> not work initially (SMB Connection Refused).  We then enabled Samba on the
> machine and authentication began working.

JCIFS does not need samba in any way shape or form. The server to which
jCIFS connects must be running a CIFS server that may be Samba.

> We have the following in
> our web.xml:
>
> <filter>
>   <filter-name>NTLM</filter-name>
>   <filter-class>com.xcel.comet.web.utility.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
>   <init-param>
>       <param-name>jcifs.netbios.wins</param-name>
>       <param-value>10.105.50.111</param-value>
>   </init-param>
> </filter>
> <filter-mapping>
>   <filter-name>NTLM</filter-name>
>   <url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
> </filter-mapping>
>
> We place jcifs-0.8.3.jar in the WEB-INF/lib directory.

This is not a valid configuration for a variety of reasons. Please read
the NTLM HTTP Authentication documentation:

  http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html