[jcifs] FAQ - Samba Required on Client?

Myron Uecker muecker at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 19 18:56:04 GMT 2004

I am using the HTTP filter under jCIFS 0.8.3 running under JBoss 3.2.5.  I
installed my application on a Sun Solaris machine and authentication did
not work initially (SMB Connection Refused).  We then enabled Samba on the
machine and authentication began working.  It seems to me that jCIFS
includes its own Samba client so it should not require Samba to be
installed and enabled.  Is this assumption correct?  If so, what changes
do I need to make to the installation of jCIFS?  We have the following in
our web.xml:

<filter>
  <filter-name>NTLM</filter-name>
  <filter-class>com.xcel.comet.web.utility.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
  <init-param>
      <param-name>jcifs.netbios.wins</param-name>
      <param-value>10.105.50.111</param-value>
  </init-param>
</filter>
<filter-mapping>
  <filter-name>NTLM</filter-name>
  <url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
</filter-mapping>

We place jcifs-0.8.3.jar in the WEB-INF/lib directory.

Thank you.
Myron