[jcifs] Re: Fw: SQL Server 6.5 and named pipes

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sat Jul 17 17:04:06 GMT 2004

Of note:

Last time I spoke with the FSF's enforcement folk they told me that it is
the copyright holder's responsibility to enforce the licencing terms.
(This is why the FSF likes it if you hand copyright over to them--it lets
them do their job.)

As stated publicly on this list several times, our intent with jCIFS is
that people should be able to write code that uses jCIFS as a library (or
"toolkit").  Modifications to jCIFS itself should be available under the
same license as jCIFS, but programs and utilities that simply use jCIFS
are in two parts:  the jCIFS part and the other part built on top of
jCIFS.  We're only claiming rights to the jCIFS part.

Note:  If FooBarInc modifies jCIFS and then uses the modified library as
       the basis for a new product, then the only folks who have a right
       to ask for source to the modified jCIFS library are those who have
       the FooBarInc product (per the LGPL).

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org