[jcifs] Issue listing "smb://"

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Jul 15 20:39:25 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 04:14:09PM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:
:
> I can't go through a process like this for every little lookup. We have keep
> the lookups practical. Directing the NetServerEnum to the address assocaited
> with the jcifs.smb.client.domain parameter is good enough.

To simplify it:

If given "SMB://"

1) Look for the __MSBROWSE__ name and choose one of the responding nodes.
   Cross your fingers and hope that it's been up long enough that it has
   achieved a reasonable degree of convergence.

2) If #1 fails, contact the NBNS for a DMB (any DMB... If you've got a
   default workgroup name, try that.  Else, try *<1B> which may also fail.

3) If in 'P' mode skip step 1, if in 'B' mode skip step 2.

4) If none of that works the query fails.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org