[jcifs] Issue listing "smb://"

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Jul 15 20:35:21 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 04:10:41PM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:53:08 -0500
> "Christopher R. Hertel" <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:
>
> > Don't look for the PDC, look for the DMB: domain<1B>.
> >
> > They'll be one and the same, but yes it is accepted behavior.
>
> Well we have the address of the domain controller. I'm not going to
> bother going through the lookup if they're "one and the same".

*If* you have the address of the PDC.  You may not.

What I said before was that the PDC must be the DMB.  The opposite isn't
true, however.  Samba can run as a DMB without being a PDC.

Also, a 'B' mode node (one with no WINS server defined) would still need
to broadcasts.  The code will be there.

...and yes, this is the kind of convoluted behavior that one goes through
to find browser nodes.  The browse service is a messy thing.  There's a
lot of redundancy and fall-back built in because the system is expected to
(partially) fail often.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org