[jcifs] Issue listing "smb://"

Eric Glass eric.glass at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 00:35:49 GMT 2004

> So, if catching the UnknownHostException and doing a NetServerEnum against
> jcifs.smb.client.domain works, then it's because there *is* NBT running
> somewhere (probably a different subnet) and jCIFS is finding the Domain
> Master Browser in the NBNS database.

This makes sense.  In this case, would the proposed solution be
optimal (falling back to a NetServerEnum against the
jcifs.smb.client.domain controller), or is there a better way to do
this?  Alternatively, if jcifs.smb.client.domain is specified, would
it be preferred to to the NetServerEnum against that controller before
broadcasting for the local master browser?

> The biggest problem here is that we don't know how to browse a non-NBT
> network.  I think there are some folks who know how to do this but it's
> been hard to work out details so I don't understand it myself.  It
> involves querying the Active Directory which first requires that you know
> how to find the Active Directory.  It *may* involve the non-standard UDP
> LDAP messages that Microsoft sends.

The domain controller discovery process is described here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314861

The "meat" of AD controller discover involves querying DNS for SRV
records of the form:

    _ldap._tcp.mydomain.com

and sending the UDP LDAP search to the resulting host.

> Second problem is that we need the RPC versions of the RAP calls to do
> this right even under NBT.  Sigh.

Which RPCs are those?  If I recall, there weren't any NetServerEnum
equivalents; I still see the NetServerEnum2/3 RAP calls in my
environment.  I believe there were some browser service RPCs mentioned
previously, but I don't get those appearing across the wire (that I
know of).

Eric