[jcifs] jcifs.smb.SmbException: Unknown host: ..__MSBROWSE__.

andrea.lanza at frameweb.it andrea.lanza at frameweb.it
Tue Jan 27 09:33:04 GMT 2004

You could try to move the "PDC Emulator" role to another DC in you LAN,
using mmc (Active Directory Users and Computers, right click your domain,
choose operation master and the central tab is PDC Emulator).
Then you can try to add a WINS server, configure the PDC Emulator to
register to this WINS, and the specify the WINS address using on example

jcifs.Config.setProperty.resolveOrder="WINS,DNS,BCAST"
jcifs.Config.setProperty.wins="192.168.69.6"
jcifs.Config.setProperty.baddr="192.168.69.255"

once I had a similar problem, when I was using jcifs on the pdc emulator
itself without wins :
unfortunately one computer cannot broadcast to itself.
so , you can move the pdc role to another host OR install and configure
wins ( I did both of these tings)

hope this helps,

Andrea

Hi all,

I get this exception when trying to get all shared
machines using smb:// :
jcifs.smb.SmbException: Unknown host: ..__MSBROWSE__.

This is a Active Directory setup. Any pointers will be

much appreciated.

Regards,
Swapnil