[jcifs] Turn off NTLM authentication in IE after it has been set?

Andrew Stevens andrew.stevens at gsjbw.com
Thu Jan 15 23:28:50 GMT 2004

Chris,

Please excuse my rambling's if this is not relevant. It sounds like you are
trying to achieve similar functionality to what I have done.
We run Struts Web Apps in Tomcat, using the NtlmHttpFilter thingy.

A few key things here.
1. I never really turn off NTLM but it just appears that way to the end
user.
2. We have the web server URL in the 'Intranet Zone' in IE Options so user
is only prompted for a log in 0 to 1 times ever.
3. We have an init-param in web.xml called 'useNTLM' which we can set to
true/false.

If the init-param is set to false, we still present a HTML log in screen for
our existing Security Model.
The NTLM still authorises the user, but only on the first request (because
of point 2).

I haven't investigated further, but it may also be possible to
programatically disable the NtlmHttpFilter.
There's probably classes available to change Web.xml settings on the fly
(?).

Or maybe you could re-compile the Filter, to accept a trigger (url param, or
system property etc) to tell it to not do NTLM filtering as required.

Oh boy, does this make any sense?

Cheers,
AS