[jcifs] Re: jcifs / davenport / dfs

eglass1 at comcast.net eglass1 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 19 20:25:41 GMT 2004

> [1] The jCIFS library will throw the now public DfsReferral if the
> supplied password hashes are "external" and a DFS referral has occured.
> The caller is then required to renegotiate the password hashes for the new
> target provided by the DfsReferral.node member. The simplest method for
> performing this renegotiation is to simply do resp.sendRedirect with the
> new URL as NetworkExplorer does.

The redirect will probably cause issues with the WebDAV methods, however
(PROPFIND, etc.)  Will it work transparently with "internal" hashes (i.e.,
the password is available)?  Much as I hate to say it, I'm leaning more and
more toward using HTTP Basic as the default authentication mechanism for
Davenport:

    1) SMB signing is enabled by default on Win2k3, and requires the password.
    2) DFS may need the password to work properly with WebDAV.
    3) Most (non-MS) WebDAV clients don't support NTLM.

Eric