[jcifs] Problems with certain clients using NTLM filter

Alfie Kirkpatrick Alfie.Kirkpatrick at ioko.com
Tue Feb 17 11:05:13 GMT 2004

I posted a problem I was having a while back authenticating at all with
WinXP/IE6. Mike you started to help me track it down but I've been
distracted by other work. I had a chance to do some more digging today
and can confirm a couple of things. This is using 0.8.0b1, and the
filter in web.xml using the following settings:

    <filter>
        <filter-name>NTLM HTTP Authentication Filter</filter-name>

<filter-class>com.akirkpatrick.ontowiki.web.ActionFilter</filter-class>

        <init-param>
            <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
            <param-value>IOKO365</param-value>
        </init-param>

        <init-param>
            <param-name>jcifs.netbios.wins</param-name>
            <param-value>x.x.x.x</param-value>
        </init-param>
    </filter>

(my ActionFilter is the same as the standard one just with more logging)

- Got someone else in our office with Win2k/IE5.5 and they couldn't
authenticate

- Tested access from clean build Win2k/IE5.5 client and it authenticated
fine

- Patched to Win2k SP4, still ok

- Installed IE6 (from Windows Update) plus all critical updates, still
ok

- Tried on three other XP machines in office and all authenticated fine

I'm struggling to find a pattern in this...! I attach the following:

failure.libpcap
	Trace from a failed Win2k/IE5.5 conversation - displays login
box, no attempt made to login

success.libpcap
	Trace from a successful conversation - displays homepage

Any help much appreciated, let me know if I can help with any more
traces.

Best regards, Alfie.

ioko
M: +44 (0) 7810 552466