[jcifs] Port 445 Transport

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Feb 12 06:25:59 GMT 2004

I outline a strategy in my book:

  http://ubiqx.org/cifs/SMB.html#SMB.3
and
  http://ubiqx.org/cifs/figures/smb-02.html

There are more notes at the end of the current SMB URI draft too.

The problem, of course, is that I can only provide an outline in the book.
The actual implementation is a candidate for a lot of fine tuning.

Some notes:

- If the SMB URL you get resolves as a NetBIOS name then 139 is your best
  first-guess.  This may mean keeping some state info on the client side
  (eg., did you start by looking up a workgroup name and then "descend"
  to a server name).

- If port 139 or 445 are specified, then you have a clue.

- If a nonstandard port is specified (common with SSH port redirection,
  for example) then you have to do some guessing.

- If you send an NBT Session Request to a non-NBT port (eg., 445) on a
  Windows box the Windows box won't respond at all.  You wind up timing
  out.  If you *don't* send the Session Request and one is expected, you
  get an NBT Session Service error message *right away*.  That's faster,
  and you now know what to do.  Samba doesn't care whether you send a
  Session Request or not (on any port).

- You can't send RAP requests to port 445.  Samba will respond (we're odd
  that way) but Windows won't.  The NetServerEnum2 doesn't make much sense
  on port 445, and it seems that MS just doesn't run RAP on that port.

Hope that's useful.

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org