[jcifs] Windows 2000 dialect...

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Feb 10 21:32:59 GMT 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 04:07:45PM -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
> Nuno Cardoso said:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Is it possible change the default windows 2000 client dialect (NT LAN
> > 0.12) to LANMAN1.0?
> >
> > I want set the windows 2000 dialect to LANMAN1.0....
>
> Sure just edit the code and replace "NT LM 0.12" with "LANMAN1.0". Of
> course jCIFS doesn't support that dialect so the client won't actually
> work.

Nuno:

The list of available dialects is presented by the client, and the server
selects one of those from the list.  *All* Windows products since W/NT4
and W/95 have used the NT LM 0.12 dialect.  You have to go back to
W/NT3.51, WfWG, DOS, or OS/2 to find a server that doesn't speak NT LM
0.12.

With that in mind, jCIFS was written to support NT LM 0.12.  If you send
"LANMAN1.0" instead of "NT LM 0.12" the server will downgrade itself to
speak the older dialect.  Unfortunately, jCIFS only really supports NT LM
0.12 so it will continue to send the newer SMB messages.  I don't know how
the server will react.

That in mind, the real question is:  What do you think you'll gain by
using an outdated dialect?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org