[jcifs] Re: davenport

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Feb 9 20:48:08 GMT 2004

Michael B Allen wrote:

> eglass1 at comcast.net said:
> > Mike/All,
> >
> > I had the question below raised regarding browsing servers, and figured it
> > had probably been addressed previously; basically, some servers don't show
> > up in what amounts to a listFiles() on a workgroup.  The servers can be
> > contacted directly, etc.  I'm guessing there is a simple explanation, I
> > just can't think of one off the top of my head.  Anybody?
>
> This could be a lot of things. NetServerEnum is limited to 15 ASCII
> characters. It may be that the FQDN is being used and is different from
> the NetBIOS name. If the list of server names is too big to fit in the 64K
> NetServerEnum response (possibly because there are lots of comments) it
> will be truncated. Or if the user takes a capture [1] and confirms that
> the entries of interest are indeed returned then it is a bug in jCIFS.

I would want to see the output of 'smbclient -L' directed at the same
browser node.

Most likely, the missing entries are simply not in the browse list being
retrieved.  This can happen for several reasons, some of which are in Mike's
response, above.  More likely, however, is that there's a simple browsing
such as:
- The server isn't announcing itself.
- The announcement hasn't gotten to all of the LMBs yet.
- You're contacting a backup browser instead of the LMB and it hasn't
  synced with the LMB recently.
- There are Windows boxes with NetBIOS bound to NetBEUI or NWLink on the
LAN,
  and these are causing browse service problems.

The question is:  What evidence is there that other nodes *can* see the
"missing" nodes?  It's only a jCIFS problem if the "missing" servers can be
seen by other nodes on the same LAN.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org