[jcifs] NtlmHttpFilter

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Feb 3 21:21:13 GMT 2004

Pittur said:
> Hi.
>
> I'm using jcifs_0.7.19 and my domain contoler is running og Windows Server
> 2003. I have disabled digitally signing on the server.

That's not necessary. Signing can be enabled on the server. JCIFS never
actually gets to a point where it needs to sign messages.

> Using NtlmHttpFilter to authenticate users in the Active Directory I
> sometimes
> have problems.
>
> jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Access denied

I don't know why this wouldn't work. I suspect there is something about a
strict AD environment that is incompatible with jCIFS. When it comes to
authenticating arbirary credentials against a domain controller jCIFS is
the technical equivalent of Win98. All it does is create a session to IPC$
with the users credentials. If that is disabled in favor of AD jCIFS will
not work. Perhaps there's some kind of compatability mode. But I don't
know anything about AD.