[jcifs] Re: Problems with implementing LsarLookupSids()

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sun Dec 19 21:26:44 GMT 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:30:35 +0100
Ralf Hartmann <ralf.hartmann at xsystem.de> wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> i had a lot of work to do last week. So i send you my results today. Any
> remarks are welcome.

Looks good. It's going to be a while before I can seriously look at this,
let alone integrate it, but clearly it will save me quite a bit of work.
Thanks. Also you may have noticed that I recently released new versions of
midlc and jarapac that properly support LsarLookupSids.

> I have mentioned a little problem about the LsarLookupSids() last week:
> DCERPC seems to be not fully suported by Netapps filer on port 139. I
> have traced the windows explorer and this one uses port 445. Hopefully i
> can work around by requesting the user names at the domain controller
> and not at the filer.

Hmm, well NT doesn't support port 445. So NT RPCs do not work with Netapp at
all?

> A have read in the forum, port 445 is not supported by JCIFS. Is this
> currently true?

It is true. But the "RAW" protocol communication on port 445 is basically
identical to port 139 without the NetBIOS session establishment messages.
It's just that supporting BOTH port 445 and 139 requires a bit of finesse
that I didn't quite possess during the last development iteration. It should
not be difficult to build a jcifs version that supports port 445 and  NOT
139 by simply replacing NbtSocket in SmbTranport with a regulat Socket and
making the default port in jcifs.smb.Handler 445.

Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.