[jcifs] Time of copy file

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Aug 27 19:01:18 GMT 2004

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 01:08:23PM -0500, PATRICK JOHNSON wrote:
> I was wondering if there are any documents/discussions around optimizing the
> speed of the jCIFS java code.  We are copying data files from a UNIX system
> to shared Windows network directories.  Presently, it takes about 40 seconds
> to send a 12 KB file.

You might want to study a capture of that transaction.  I'm guessing
(wildly, since the above is all I have to go on) that the delay is not in
the copy itself, but (perhaps) in the authentication negotiation.

A simple test would be to transfer a much larger file and see if the copy
time goes up proportionally.  If not (i.e., if the KB/sec ratio improves)
then my guess starts to look a lot better.

Take a look and let us know what you see.

Oh... and please let us know which version of jCIFS you are using.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org