[jcifs] RPC Stub Format Changes

Eric Glass eric.glass at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 23:26:16 GMT 2004

> But another compiler might create separate files for every class within the
> interface or upcase the first letter of each class name for example. So to
> ensure interoperability one would have to also agree on the Java interface
> as well. I suppose that's what you mean.

Yes; basically define a set of rules followed to map IDL to stubs.
For example, OMG has a defined standard for mapping CORBA IDL -> Java:

    http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/apps/doc?ptc/00-11-03.pdf

This ensures not only that other third party tools can generate stubs
that work with Jarapac, but that those stubs can work with our stubs
(or any other third party's stubs).  Also, client applications know
what output files to expect from compiling a given IDL (regardless of
which compiler is used); so any userland apps don't have a dependency
on a specific compiler.

Eric