[jcifs] Tridge's PIDL compiler and the Samba4 IDLs.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Aug 12 06:44:52 GMT 2004

Mike, et. al.,

I've been through two presentations by Tridge regarding the IDL files in
Samba4 and the PIDL compiler.  I am looking for someone who knows Perl and
is interested in working with this stuff.

Here's why:
- The PIDL compiler is written in Perl.  It has a plugable back-end and a
  Java back-end piece could be written for it.

- The Samba Team are busy writing lots and *lots* of IDL code for MS-RPC
  calls.  Many of the important ones are already done.

- PIDL understands an extended (and slightly unusual) IDL version.  It is
  *specifically tuned* to handle the oddities of MS-RPC, including
  providing a great deal of help regarding inconsistencies in such things
  as string termination, substructure packing, etc.  This is an IDL
  designed for MS-RPC interoperability.

So... Anyone interested in working on a Java back-end for PIDL?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org