[jcifs] NTLM HTTP authentication failure forward vs. Network LogonDialog?

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Aug 10 02:27:06 GMT 2004

Dave Trapp said:
> NTLMHttpFilter works great for our Intranet
> application.
>
> In instances when a user cannot authenticate
> transparently, we would like to forward them to a
> different URL (a guest view of our application) - as
> opposed to them getting challenged with the Network
> Logon Dialog.
>
> Through some trial-and-error we can get it to work
> some of the time.  I don't think I understand the
> source that well though.

That's ok I think but just return after setting the redirect:

    131             } catch( SmbAuthException sae ) {
    132                 if( sae.getNtStatus() ==
sae.NT_STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION ) {
    133                     /* Server challenge no longer valid for
    134                      * externally supplied password hashes.
    135                      */
    136 System.err.println("ACCESS_VIOLATION");
    137                     HttpSession ssn = req.getSession(false);
    138                     if (ssn != null) {
    139                         ssn.removeAttribute( "NtlmHttpAuth" );
    140                     }
    141                 }
    142 if( guestRedirectURL ) { /* set guestRedirectURL in init */
    143     resp.sendRedirect( guestRedirectURL );
    144     return;
    145 }
    146                 resp.setHeader( "WWW-Authenticate", "NTLM" );