[jcifs] regarding multi-domains

O'Rourke, James jorourke at rsasecurity.com
Tue Apr 20 23:36:23 GMT 2004

I'm wondering how the Global Catalog works with various domain controllers
in a multi-domain single forest network. When authenticating using
SmbSession.authenticate() we provide both the domain controller + an
NtlmPasswordAuthentication object which encapsulates the domain + userId +
credentials. Why is this domain provided here? What if the domain controller
is for a domain different from the domain which is associated with the
authentication object? Is it the case that the domain controller which is
queried will query the Global Catalog to try to authenticate this "foreign"
user or will we see a failure?