[jcifs] Davenport - Domain Authentication Problems

Mike McDonald Mike.McDonald at anywaregroup.com
Fri Apr 16 14:30:08 GMT 2004

Hi all.  I've encountered a small problem with Davenport, and I'm hoping
someone will be able to help me out.

Environment:

Windows 2000 (Active Directory Domain, multiple servers)

Davenport 0.9.8

Jetty 4.2.17

jCIFS 0.7.19

Davenport Configuration:

alwaysAuthentication - true

jcifs.smb.client.domain - DOMAIN

jcifs.http.domainController - 10.0.0.1

jcifs.smb.lmCompatibility - 0

jcifs.http.enableBasic - true

jcifs.http.insecureBasic - false

Problem Description:

When I first open the Davenport URL (http://127.0.0.1/davenport), I am
prompted for a username/password.  The username/password I use is a
domain account contained in the active directory.  At this point, it
appears to authenticate with server: 0.0.0.0<00>/10.0.0.1.   This
appears fine, and the domain list is displayed.

When I click the domain link, I am not prompted for a username/password.
Authentication happens against server: DOMAINNAME<1D>/10.0.0.1, and a
list of all servers in the domain is presented.

Now, the problem.  When I click a specific server, I am not prompted for
a username/password.  Authentication happens against server:
SERVERNAME<20>/10.0.0.7 and no shares/files etc. are listed even though
the domain user has permission to shares on said server.

It appears that the share list is not presented because I attempted to
authenticate a user against the server itself, and the user does not
exist on said server.  If I create a user on the server with the same
username/password, the shares are presented properly.  This leads to a
couple questions:

1.  Is there a way to force all authentication to happen at the domain
level?

2.  If authentication fails, should I not get a pop-up window asking for
new credentials?

3.  Is there a way to solve this problem?  Have I overlooked a
configuration item or something?

Thanks,