[jcifs] timezone problems

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Apr 1 08:48:12 GMT 2004

Julian Reschke said:
> Michael B Allen wrote:
>> Eric said:
>>
>>>Attached is another test case that would seem to confirm Julian's
>>>observations.  This does the following:
>>

>> Ok, but now with the DST adjustment commented out I'm seeing a problem.
>> If
>> I copy a file with a source time of May 8:32pm, Ethereal claims the time
>> read is 9:32pm. Indeed the file created has a time of 9:32pm according
>> Explorer. If I copy it again, it drifts to 10:32pm. If I copy a new file
>> there's no drift.
>
> I'd like to test that. *How* are you copying the file?

I'm just using copyTo. Specifially I was using examples/CopyTo to copy a
file from an NT4 machine to a different directory on the same machine. I
have made some changes regarding timestamps and attributes but I think
they're limited to directories so you should be able to reproduce the
behavior using 0.8.2. I can see the byte sequence of the time field coming
in is the same as what's going out and I still get drift so ....

>> You know originally I adjusted only readTime. For some reason I copied
>> the
>> adjustment to writeTime later. Maybe I should have trusted my original
>> analysis.
>
> At the end of the day, there should be a set of unit tests tha JCifs
> should pass; that would discussions like this much easier :-)

During stability periods I try to run examples/runtests.sh. It works as a
poor mans test suite. When we determine the correct behavior perhaps we
will have for this too.