[jcifs] NTLMv2 support

Eric eglass1 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 28 05:31:47 EST 2003

> Thanks for your reply. It helped me understand the issue better. One
> question related to LMv2 and pass through authentication. You mentioned that
> LMv2 without NTLMv2 might work only in pass through authentication. We use
> jCIFS to validate a user credentials against a domain server. It seems that
> we won't be doing pass through authentication in such a scenario. So, we may
> see issues authenticating users in such cases ?

Possibly, but the easiest thing would just be to try it out and see what
happens.  Whatever the outcome, it should be consistent and repeatable
(i.e., problems wouldn't be intermittent, it would either work or not).
  It may depend on whether you are authenticating directly against the
domain controller, or whether a NETLOGON authentication channel is
involved.  If you've got things working with NTLMv1, just set
"jcifs.smb.lmCompatibility" to "3" to test LMv2.  If it works, you can
be pretty comfortable it will work with similar accounts.  The issues I
dimly recall may have just been back when I was testing NTLMv2; LMv2 may
work properly in all scenarios.

Eric