[jcifs] How to get hold of SmbSession object

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat Sep 27 05:28:02 EST 2003

> Hi,
>
> I am using jCIFS to authenticate users against Win2k/Windows 2003 domain
> servers (using the logon() method in SmbSession). The question is how do I
> get access to the session object created after a successful user
> authentication. I would like to close/kill this session (call logoff)
> after
> I have validated the user. The current API does not allow that. Also, the
> logoff() method in SmbSession class is private.

There is no public logoff() method because transports (and all sessions
over them) automatically close after jcifs.smb.client.soTimeout and I have
otherwise failed to identify an instance where logoff() would be useful.
Sessions are shared internally so opening and closing a connection to the
target frequently would only create unnecessary overhead.

A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are
conceptually similar and, more  important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.