[jcifs] SMB Signing Sequence Counters

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Sep 16 15:31:02 EST 2003

>> What would the sequence numbers be for the below 3 SMBs? From looking at
>> your code it looks like it should be something like the following:
>>
>> send: SMB1 sign 0
>> send: SMB2 sign 2
>> send: SMB3 sign 4
>> recv: SMB3 vrfy 5
>> recv: SMB1 vrfy 1
>> recv: SMB2 vrfy 3
>>
>> Is the verify sequence number of the response always 1 more than the
>> sequence number used to sign it's request (as shown above)?
>>

> I *think* so; I'm not sure if there was coverage for that scenario in the
> tests
> I did or not (I know it tested multiple requests in a row, i.e. not just
> alternating request-response, but I don't know if it encountered
> out-of-order
> requests).

I think it's right too. Here's some real output from from sign() and
verify() mehtods with ThreadedSmbCrawler and 8 threads (note VRFY: 643
corresponds to SIGN: 642 b/c verifySequence is always 1 more than
signSequence):

VRFY: 641
SIGN: 642
SIGN: 644
SIGN: 646
SIGN: 648
VRFY: 643
VRFY: 645
VRFY: 647
SIGN: 650
SIGN: 652
SIGN: 654
VRFY: 649
VRFY: 651
VRFY: 653
VRFY: 655
SIGN: 656

>> initialize things as necessary from within this lock as well. That will
>> give us the concurrency we need and considering snd_buf and rcv_buf are
>> static it prevents their contents from changing during signing/verifying
>> (which I think might be a problem with the current code).
>>

> That sounds preferable (assuming it works properly); if you have this
> coded,
> I can test it here.

It appears to work properly. I removed the lock and I move things around a
little. After I fixup SmbFile.equals() I'll upload something for you to
look at before I release it as 0.7.13.

Good work Eric. It's nice to have an "advanced" feature.

Thanks,

A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are
conceptually similar and, more  important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.