[jcifs] SMB Signing Sequence Counters

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat Sep 13 16:55:21 EST 2003

It's 3 o'clock in the morning, it's raining steady, and otherwise silent.
I love that.

>> Is the verify sequence number of the response always 1 more than the
>> sequence number used to sign it's request (as shown above)?
>>

> I *think* so; I'm not sure if there was coverage for that scenario in the
> tests
> I did or not (I know it tested multiple requests in a row, i.e. not just
> alternating request-response, but I don't know if it encountered
> out-of-order
> requests).

I'll assume this is true for the moment.

>> give us the concurrency we need and considering snd_buf and rcv_buf are
>> static it prevents their contents from changing during signing/verifying
>> (which I think might be a problem with the current code).
>>

> That sounds preferable (assuming it works properly); if you have this
> coded,
> I can test it here.

Which will be important because I don't have a way to test this at all.
Can NT 4.0 serve signed SMBs? Is there a registry setting for that? I'll
setup a better example program for you.

A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are
conceptually similar and, more  important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.