[jcifs] setReadOnly, setReadWrite, or setAttributes?

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Oct 30 07:56:12 EST 2003

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 01:30:40AM -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
> :
>> Oh, by extended attributes I thought you meant ACEs, ACLs, SIDs and all
>> that. So how do you get and set "extended attributes" and what are they
>> used for? Otherwise I don't think doing access control lists et al will
>> be
>> useful unless we can do RPCs to make use of the SIDs. Ahtough we would
>> be
>> able to copy them with copyTo ... mmmm.
>
> ...dunno if I remembered to say this but I believe that EA's are accessed
> using SMB Transactions, and don't require RPC.

You can access security descriptors using transactions as well but I
suppose  we could be speaking of the same thing. My concern regarding RPCs
is not with reading/writing/copying EAs or security descriptors but with
what you can do with them. Security descriptors have SIDs that are
basically useless without RPCs to resolve them and generally use them.
Thus there's little point in implementing the transactions to access them
if they cannot be used.

A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are
conceptually similar and, more  important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.