[jcifs] setReadOnly, setReadWrite, or setAttributes?

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Oct 29 11:20:39 EST 2003

Anyone notice java.io.File.setReadOnly will set a file to read-only but
there's no way to remove read-only from a file? I suppose someone was
concerned with security issues on filesystems that do not provide the
concept of ownership. I don't think this will be acceptable for us...

I am thinking of one of three possible solutions;

1) Provide both setReadOnly and setReadWrite.

2) Change the signature of setReadOnly to:

   setReadOnly( boolean readonly );

where specifying false will remove read-only access.

3) Implement a more advanced set/getAttributes API such as:

static final int ATTR_ARCHIVE    = 0x020;
static final int ATTR_COMPRESSED = 0x800;
static final int ATTR_NORMAL     = 0x080;
static final int ATTR_HIDDEN     = 0x002;
static final int ATTR_READONLY   = 0x001;
static final int ATTR_TEMPORARY  = 0x100;
static final int ATTR_DIRECTORY  = 0x010;
static final int ATTR_SYSTEM     = 0x004;

public int getAttributes() throws SmbException;
public void setAttributes( int attrs ) throws SmbException;

Any opinions?

A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are
conceptually similar and, more  important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.