[jcifs] (IP results from name query)

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Oct 24 06:37:47 EST 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 01:42:09AM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:

> > On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:13:31AM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:
>
> > does jCIFS collect all of the responses in one NbtAddress object or does
> > it only return the first one (and ignore the others)?
>
> Returns the first, ignores the rest.

Hmmm...  Speaking as the theory guy (and after having thought about it a
while) I would have to say that this is wrong.  [ducks]

A group name is associated with zero-to-many IP addresses.  Using a tool
like nmblookup, a broadcast query for a group name returns several IPs.
The default WINS behavior of sending only 255.255.255.255 in response to a
group name query is clearly broken as Microsoft found out when they
patched WINS to provide special [that's "correct"] behavior for <1C>
names.

Hmmm...  Worth thinking about.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org