[jcifs] a question concerning the calling hostname for authentification

Marco Kahrau marco.kahrau at isb-ag.de
Sat Oct 11 01:15:39 EST 2003

Hello,

we have build a java server application which uses the jcifs package for
ntlm authentification (as a signle-sign-on solution). The server application
is running on a tomcat engine, the clients connect with the internet
explorer in an intranet.
So far it was very easy to use the filter provided in the jcifs package.
But it works not correctly, because in the domaincontroller the users are
registred with the "userWorkstations" option, so that they can only
authenticate from the workstation they are registered to.
We have found a configuration option in the jcifs package, the property
"jcifs.netbios.hostname", that can be set to a workstation hostname, so that
the server uses this name as the calling hostname when authenticate at the
server. But this property can only be set once at the start of the
application.
But we have the need to dynamically set this "calling hostname" for every
user authentification. As far as we understood the sources, the
"jcifs.netbios.hostname" property is evaluated in the class NbtAdress in a
static procedure. So that is the reason, why it is only evaluated once. But
we have no idea, how the package could be used or patched, so that the
calling hostname can be set dynamically.

Can anyone help with this problem?
Every hint would be usefull.

Many thanks.

Marco