[jcifs] NamedPipe question

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Oct 8 19:34:38 EST 2003

> Hello,
>
> I need to connect to an existing program (I do not have the source
> code) on Windows written in C++ using NamedPipes to communicate. I have
> this C++ code snippet which works, but when I try to do the same with
> jCIFS it fails . Actually I tried to open the NamedFile as given in the
> jCIFS JavaDoc when it has to be opened through CreateFile, but when I do
> this it fails when I try to write on it, saying "File not found."
>
> Any help is welcome.

The key to this is getting the right pipe mode. In every instance of named
pipe problems that I can remember it always turned out to be a strange
pipe mode problem. If you really want to get to the bottom of this fast
you need to get and compare two packet captures; one of Win32 <-> Win32
working properly and the other of jCIFS <-> Win32 failing. If you don't
know how to interpret the captures send them to me directly. Although... I
do recall the last person who used overlapped IO on the server had
performance problems using jCIFS. It worked but it was very slow. He never
followed through with why. Really need those pcaps...

A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are
conceptually similar and, more  important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.