[jcifs] jcifs.smb.SmbException errorno: 22, error: Invalid argument for f d: 32

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Oct 3 04:51:31 EST 2003

> I met a jcifs.smb.SmbException when I add the following code to web.xml of
> my application.
> My application run in the environment (Jcifs0.7.3, tomcat4.1.24, jdk1.3.1,
> Open BSD system)

This is a low level socket error that has nothing to do with jCIFS. I
recall having trouble with some version of Java 1.3.x. I don't recall the
specifics. Try the latest Java 1.3 or Java 1.4. You should also upgrade to
jcifs-0.7.13.

> But everything works well when I run it in another environment(Jcifs0.7.3,
> tomcat4.1.18, j2sdk1.4.1-03, Windows XP system).
>
> Does anybody know what is wrong with my NTLM authentication filter?
>
>     <filter>
>         <filter-name>NTLM HTTP Authentication Filter</filter-name>
>         <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
>          <init-param>
>             <param-name>jcifs.http.domainController</param-name>
>             <param-value>192.168.1.16</param-value>
>         </init-param>
>          <init-param>
>             <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
>             <param-value>NYC-USERS</param-value>
>         </init-param>

You should not use both domain and domainController. Please read the
instructions.

>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>jcifs.netbios.wins</param-name>
>             <param-value>10.169.10.77</param-value>
>         </init-param>
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>jcifs.netbios.baddr</param-name>
>             <param-value>255.255.255.255</param-value>
>         </init-param>

This is redundant as baddr is already set to this. The filter shouldn't be
broadcasting for anything anyway.

A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are
conceptually similar and, more  important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.