[jcifs] Jarapac

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Nov 13 21:50:56 EST 2003

>> What's complex about it? Is it because your trying to use reflection or
>> something? Otherwise it looks like XDR to me.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> A lot of it is fairly similar to XDR; the tricky stuff is mainly
> managing conformant arrays/structures, and pointers; there are lots of
> special cases, such as arrays of strings:
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9629399/chap14.htm#tagcjh_19_03_05
>
> The general rules are pretty easy to get down, but the finer points are
> somewhat complicated.

I see what you mean. The format isn't complicated. It's quite orderly;
each object is largely composed of others. The documentation just isn't
that good so your left guessing a little about things like alignment. Did
you make some Win32 RPCs just to look at passing different parameters in
Ethereal?

My only complaint is that you used OO all over the place. I realize Java
in an OO language but it doesn't mean you have to use actually it :-)

I thought I might be of help with NDR but it looks like that is fairly
complete (minus reservations about format details). So I guess I should
just try to create stubs and generally *use* the package. I'll go back and
fourth with you about bugs and figure out how jCIFS can take advantage of
this.

But first I have to do RandomAccessFile and push out jcifs 0.8. Then I'll
review Luke's book and start playing with your code for real.

This is very cool stuff Eric. If I were MS I'd be sweating a little about
the potential for integration with their products. Watch your back getting
in the car in the morning :)

A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are
conceptually similar and, more  important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.