[jcifs] Re: Fwd: Novell and jCIFS

Eric eglass1 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 8 11:09:39 EST 2003

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 05:24:11PM -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
>
>>>Digging out and working on the RAP mechanism would be a good thing.  W9x
>>>systems don't do RPC, so they must use the RAP system.
>>
>>I don't think it (or W9x) will work with newish Windows domains so don't
>>knock yourself working on RAPs unless your going to be a hip-hop gansta :)
>

> I'm, uh...  un-rappable.  I think.
>
> Anyway, how do Win9x & Me systems go about performing a password change
> on, say, a W2K DC?   I should probably know, but I don't offhand.  I
> thought they still used the RAP calls.
>
> Chris -)-----

Win9x systems can do client-side RPC, just not server-side.  They only
support a subset of transport protocols as well (no UDP, as that
requires callbacks for the conversation manager, so the client has to be
a server too).  More info is here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/rpc/rpc/developing_32_bit_windows_applications.asp

Eric