[jcifs] Shared printersy

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Tue May 20 08:29:22 EST 2003

	It's going to be just as much of a headache for the application side. There's
	no infrastructure in Java for setting/getting printer attributes as near as I can
	tell.  For example I have an HP LaserJet 6L.

	http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_6L

	There would need to be a library that could retrieve the PPD information like
	that managed by linuxprinting.org above but even that data is non-windows
	oriented. It's just a massive job to the point where unless you're doing
	something like what Steve is doing it doesn't even make sense.

	If the user change driver properties or install new drivers (like a plain
	PostScript driver) on the print server then there are more possabilities
	because you can just print raw. But it's still limited and would ultimately be
	something that most people would play with only to end up asking
	questions here and being told that it doesn't do what they want (although I
	suppose that can be curbed with proper documentation).

	Printers are highly variable complicated machines.