[jcifs] Shared printersy

eglass1 at attbi.com eglass1 at attbi.com
Tue May 20 04:54:03 EST 2003

> > It is certainly feasible to produce raw PostScript in Java; if we could get
> > the printer stuff working, there could be some pretty cool uses for this.
>
> I'll look at a printjob later but this FOP thing sounds like a major
> headache. If I get printing working it's going to be RAW. Someone else
> will have to figure out how to use it.

Yes, I would think the FOP stuff would be on the application side -- i.e.,
they would process a document into PostScript (or for that matter, just
stream a PostScript file from disk), and then dump the PostScript directly to
the printer.  The application would have to bear the responsibility of
obtaining printer-appropriate content; I was just suggesting a possible
means of doing so.

Eric