[jcifs] NTLM authentication performance

Eric eglass1 at attbi.com
Sun May 18 06:24:12 EST 2003

> Actually it was always my intention that jcifs.http.domainController be
> an IP address and it's documented as such. I'm not sure off the top of
> my head what would happen if it were not an IP. For one, if you do not
> also specify jcifs.netbios.wins your domain controller query will fail
> if the domain controller is on another subnet.
>
> Mike

Sorry -- that's correct.  Although there is still an implementation
issue -- NtlmHttpFilter looks for jcifs.http.domainController, then
jcifs.smb.client.domain, and does UniAddress.getByName(value, true) on
the result (basically treating them the same, i.e. it doesn't enforce
the semantics around jcifs.http.domainController).  NtlmServlet does the
same thing, but calls UniAddress.getByName(value) -- so
jcifs.smb.client.domain won't work if it specifies the name of a domain
(which it should).  I would think it should probably be fixed to first
try a lookup on jcifs.http.domainController using getByName(value), then
jcifs.smb.client.domain using getByName(value, true).  NtlmHttpFilter
could be fixed to enforce the semantics of the
jcifs.http.domainController property similarly.

Eric