[jcifs] NTLM authentication performance

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sun May 18 05:44:04 EST 2003

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Eric wrote:

> As I'm looking at this more closely, I think I see the issue -- there is
> a bug in NtlmServlet.  You're using jcifs.http.domainController =
> "ngsmobile"; is that a domain?  The reason I'm asking is that I just
> noticed NtlmServlet does
>
> UniAddress.getByName(value);
>
> instead of
>
> UniAddress.getByName(value, true);
>
> The difference is that the second will allow for the possibility that
> "value" is a domain/workgroup (rather than a hostname).  This needs to
> be fixed; in the meantime, see if it works by changing the
> jcifs.http.domainController to an IP address.

Actually it was always my intention that jcifs.http.domainController be
an IP address and it's documented as such. I'm not sure off the top of
my head what would happen if it were not an IP. For one, if you do not
also specify jcifs.netbios.wins your domain controller query will fail
if the domain controller is on another subnet.