[jcifs] Shared printers

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat May 17 08:36:42 EST 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003 Michael.Colemen at anixter.com wrote:

> By any chance, did anyone ever figure out how to print to an NT shared
> printer? I know two messages were posted, and the response was that this
> feature it not supported at the present time. I'm hoping some one may have
> figurred it out.

This was never really explored. It would not be difficult to write
data to a shared printer but what would you print? There is no way to
generate PostScript, PCL, or driver agnostic output in Java. You cannot
just write a PDF file to the printer. It may need to be interpreted and
converted to PostScript, PCL, or rasterized by a driver.