[jcifs] NTLM authentication performance

eglass1 at attbi.com eglass1 at attbi.com
Sat May 17 06:14:30 EST 2003

Mark,

I think I replied to your message already, but I either forgot to copy the list
or messed up otherwise.  To summarize:

Internet Explorer won't submit data as part of a POST over an NTLM connection
without first re-negotiating authentication.  Essentially, it submits an empty
POST body with a Type 1 message in the Authorization header; it then responds
to the Type 2 challenge with another POST containing the data (and the Type 3
reply in the Authorization header).  This is probably where the overhead is
coming from; there is an additional round-trip for each POST (and SMB traffic
for the authentication).  Although I wouldn't think it would be terribly
expensive; I am doing some similar stuff, and I never really noticed a delay.

The reason you weren't seeing this when connecting to the localhost is that IE
relaxes this restriction when client and server are the same machine; the data
is included in the initial POST, and the additional round-trip isn't incurred.

Eric