[jcifs] NTLM authentication performance

Mark Orciuch mark_orciuch at ngsltd.com
Sat May 17 02:47:30 EST 2003

I am trying to use the NTLM authentication using jcifs in Jetspeed portal.
The portal performs well when domain controller is set to a local machine
(same one running the portal). Local machine runs Tomcat 3.3.1a (servlet API
2.2). However, when deployed in the production-like environment, there's
substantial performance degradation.

Production environment uses IBM WebSphere 3.5.6 (servlet API 2.2) and
therefore I cannot use the NtlmHttpFilter. One thing that I noticed is that
the authentication takes place more than once per session. I'm not sure if
it's the Turbine architecture (Jetspeed is built on top of Turbine) that's
causing this. I think that this happens when I do a POST and Turbine does
some redirection. At that point, I have to logon again. I hope this makes
sense.

Are there any tips to speed things up? Perhaps some properties to set. Thank
you in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Mark Orciuch - morciuch at apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/