[jcifs] Re: SMB URL

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Mar 27 08:25:34 EST 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 03:42:34AM -0500, Michael B. Allen wrote:
:
> > The other part missing is the query handling. Currently libsmbclient relies
> > on ~/.smb/smb.conf for the workgroup (which is a bit problematic when you
> > want to copy files from one workgroup to another from a linux client ;(
> > Above that it gives a ?WORKGROUP=COOLO - no such file
>
> I'm not sure I understand this. Do you mean domain? Does libsmbclient
> support the forms:
>
>   smb://domain;user:pass@server/share/path/to/file
>
> and
>
>   smb://workgroup/

I'm just throwing in a side-comment on terminology...

After a lot of discussion I (personally) have settled on the following:

  Workgroup:  The scope of the browse environment.
  NT Domain:  An authentication domain.

It's flakey, but the terminology is flakey to begin with.

Regarding that definition of workgroup...  If you have two subnets and all
of the nodes belong to the "FOO" workgroup then:
  - if there is a DMB, and the LMBs on both subnets are exchanging browse
    lists with the DMB, then you have a single workgroup named "FOO".
  - if there is no DMB, or if the LMBs are not exchanging browse
    information (perhaps one is a B node, or perhaps there are different
    WINS serves) then you have two separate workgroups, both nmaed "FOO".

Again, it's flakey, but it's the best I've been able to come up with.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org