[jcifs] Re: SMB URL

Michael B.Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Mar 27 06:57:30 EST 2003

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:22:51 +0100
Stephan Kulow <coolo at kde.org> wrote:

> > > I think, I would even have gone for smb:///?WORKGROUP=workgroup
> > > to make this even less ambiguous.
> >
> > Now I'm confused again. What would this URL resolve?
> >
> Nothing. Just me trying to clean up the semantic. currently it's
> smb://<server>, when server resolves as workgroup, use it as
> workgroup. This is somewhat strange, as you can't say forehand
> if it's a server or a workgroup - you need to resolve it.

True. But you have to resolve the name anyway. It just means there needs
to be two lookups instead of one (hopefully in parallel).

A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are
conceptually  similar and, more important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.