[jcifs] Re: SMB URL

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Wed Mar 26 22:22:51 EST 2003

Am Wednesday 26 March 2003 10:29 schrieb Michael B.Allen:

> Ahh, I guess you mean two physically different servers in two different
> workgroups. Well the server namespace is still global. Workgroups are
> just a hack to filter out everything but a select group of machines. If
> two servers with the same name exist there will be other problems. Also
> the process required for the client to find which server corresponds
> to which WORKGROUP would mean connecting to each and examining the
> OEMDomainName field. That's a little much to ask I think.
I see. I'm still learning about all these dirty details :)

> > I think, I would even have gone for smb:///?WORKGROUP=workgroup
> > to make this even less ambiguous.
>
> Now I'm confused again. What would this URL resolve?

Nothing. Just me trying to clean up the semantic. currently it's
smb://<server>, when server resolves as workgroup, use it as
workgroup. This is somewhat strange, as you can't say forehand
if it's a server or a workgroup - you need to resolve it.

With the version above, you would have a host part in the URL if you want to
access a server and a workgroup (in the query) if you want to filter for
workgroups.

Greetings, Stephan